|To support the development of cinematographic and audiovisual activities, from the creation to the dissemination and national and international circulation of works, fostering the emergence of new values, contributing to the diversity of the cultural offer and to the cinematographic and audiovisual sectors in accordance with its mission.
- To support the member of the Government responsible for the area of culture in the definition of public policies for the cinematographic and audiovisual sectors in accordance with its mission;
- To ensure the execution of cinematographic and audiovisual policies directly, in collaboration with third parties or through other entities;
- To propose programmes, measures and actions that aim to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the policies referred to in the previous point and ensuring their adequacy to the developments in the relevant sectors;
- To promote an effective dissemination and national and international circulation of works, directly or in cooperation with other entities;
- To ensure national representation in international institutions and bodies in the cinematographic and audiovisual fields, namely at the level of the European Union, the European Council, Ibero-American Cooperation and the Community of Portuguese Language Countries, as well as other platforms of cooperation or integration, without prejudice to the duties of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- To collaborate with relevant bodies in the elaboration of international agreements in the cinematographic and audiovisual industry and to carry out all tasks related to the implementation of existing agreements, as well as to establish and apply partnerships and cooperation with counterpart organisations from other countries, without prejudice to the duties of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- To contribute to a better knowledge of the cinema and audiovisual industry, by collecting, processing and disclosing statistics or other relevant information, this will be carried out by the Institute itself or in collaboration with other entities suitable for the task;
- To accompany the management of the Investment Fund for Cinema and Audiovisual (Fundo de Investimento para o Cinema e o Audiovisual - FICA).